Are you good enough?
Come back tomorrow for a new post!
Read more from the original author:
Faiza P A – Medium
The question I keep asking myself for long “Am I good enough?”
That is a question I have been asking myself for a very long time.
And the strange thing is, I have received so much reassurance.
I have been told that I am loved.
That I am more than enough.
Yet somehow, my mind still finds its way back to the same question.
Am I good enough?
Good enough for my husband?
Good enough for my parents?
Good enough for my in-laws?
Good enough for my siblings?
Good enough for my friends?
Good enough for the people who trust me?
Good enough for my clients as a therapist?
And sometimes, I even wonder
Will I be good enough for my child, whenever that day comes?
There are so many versions of the same question hiding inside our lives.
We may not always say them out loud, but we carry them.
Am I doing enough?
Am I being enough?
Am I successful enough?
Am I lovable enough?
Am I the person people deserve?
And sometimes, no matter how many times someone tells us, “Of course you are,” the question comes back.
I used to think that maybe I needed more reassurance.
Maybe if someone reminded me enough times that I was good enough, my mind would finally believe it.
But I am slowly realizing that reassurance can comfort us, but it cannot always silence the insecurity underneath it.
Sometimes, we don't need another person to prove our worth.
We need to slowly learn to stop putting our worth on trial.
Because if I am good enough only when my husband is happy with me, what happens when we have an argument?
If I am good enough only when my parents are proud of me, what happens when I disappoint them?
If I am good enough only when my clients are satisfied, what happens when I have a difficult session?
If I am good enough only when everyone around me approves of me, then my worth is always going to be in someone else's hands.
And that is an exhausting way to live.
I am incredibly lucky to have people around me who reassure me.
Especially my husband.
There are moments when my mind gets caught in that familiar loop, and he simply says,
“You are more than enough.”
Sometimes, that is all I need in that moment.
Just someone who reminds me that I don't have to earn my place in their life every single day.
And perhaps that is something we all need sometimes.
A person who looks at us when we are doubting ourselves and says,
“You don't have to prove anything right now.”
“You are okay.”
“You are loved.”
“You are enough.”
But maybe, eventually, we also need to become that person for ourselves.
Because people can reassure us, but they cannot live inside our minds.
They cannot answer every “What if?” that appears at 2 a.m.
They cannot be there every time we compare ourselves to someone else.
They cannot stop every moment of self-doubt.
At some point, we have to learn to sit with that question ourselves.
Am I good enough?
And maybe the answer doesn't have to be complicated.
Maybe it is simply:
I don't have to be perfect to be enough.
I can be a good wife and still have difficult days.
I can be a good daughter and still disappoint my parents sometimes.
I can be a good friend and still need space.
I can be a therapist and still have my own struggles.
I can make mistakes and still be worthy of love.
I can have things I need to work on and still be enough today.
And if I become a mother one day, I hope I remember this too:
My child will not need a perfect mother.
They will need a human one.
Someone who loves, learns, apologizes, grows, and sometimes gets things wrong.
Maybe being “good enough” was never about reaching some imaginary version of ourselves where we finally become flawless.
Maybe it was always about understanding that our worth does not disappear on the days when we don't feel worthy.
So yes, I still ask myself that question sometimes.
“Am I good enough?”
I probably will for a while.
But now, I am trying to answer it differently.
I am still learning.
I am still growing.
I am still human.
And I am still enough.
See you tomorrow with something new!
Cool infos from the sidebar:
-You can share your work in the blog for more people to see it!
-You can join the Discord group to get notified through there or talk to me and other friendly people
Comments
Post a Comment