Left it too late?
Come back tomorrow for a new post!
Read more from the original author:
https://barryjmcdonald.substack.com
I started writing fiction while I was still stacking shelves and paying the bills. It began with a few hundred words.
Have you ever caught yourself thinking you’ve left it too late?
Maybe you’re in your forties or fifties and the book you wanted to write is still unwritten. Maybe the business you imagined never got started. It’s easy to look back at the years that have passed and decide you wasted your chance, especially when you see someone younger making progress.
I’ve done that sort of looking back. But the years behind us aren’t the only years that matter. What could you do with the next ten years? What might change if you began building something now?
I don’t mean making one enormous decision and changing your whole life by Monday. I mean taking one small action and seeing where it leads.
I built from where I was
A couple of years ago, I was stacking shelves for a living. I hated the job, but the bills needed paying and my children needed feeding. Walking away wasn’t a realistic plan.
I also had an idea that I might be able to write fiction. There was no grand moment when I suddenly knew I was meant to be a writer. I simply wondered: Could I do it?
So I started. A couple of hundred words became a couple of thousand. I wrote part-time, in the free moments I had at home. Eventually those words became a book. Then another. Over time, I built a collection of writing, an audience, and some extra income.
None of that required me to tell my boss where to stick the job, however tempting that might have felt some days. I kept doing the work that paid the bills while I made room for work that mattered to me.
When people talk about reinventing their lives, it can sound as though they have to burn every bridge first. Announce a big plan. Quit the job. Put everything on the line.
That’s a frightening place to start when you’ve got responsibilities and you aren’t even sure you can do the thing you’re dreaming about. I didn’t know whether I could write a book when I began. Writing a few hundred words gave me a way to find out.
What can you build from here?
You may have years of working life ahead of you. That thought can feel depressing if you imagine spending all of them in a job you no longer want. But it also gives you time to change direction.
Look at where you are right now. What’s one action you could take alongside the life you already have? What could you build if you kept taking it?
For me, it was writing in the time I could find. The first few hundred words didn’t change my life on their own. They gave me somewhere to begin, and the words added up.
You can’t change the time behind you. You can decide what to do with the time ahead. So ask yourself: Do I want to keep doing what I’m doing for the rest of my life, or is there a better option I could start working towards?
Note from H. Tayrone:
I loved this. Life isn't over until is over, and everyone should have the chance to try to achieve what they wish from life. Independently from their age.
See you tomorrow with something new!
Cool infos from the sidebar:
-You can share your own work in the blog for more people to see it!
-You can join the Discord group to get notified through there or talk to me and other friendly people
-You can see the people who already contributed with a text for the blog
-You can help the blog get a proper spot by going on Ko-Fi. Even one dollar helps a ton!
Comments
Post a Comment