Today's post is brought by:
Caroline Rose – Medium
Go check more of their work and come back tomorrow to see what's new!
Wish to write tomorrow's post? Just send a text to lifeisworthlivingv1@gmail.com
Once upon a time, a woman felt like she was being left behind, and that woman was me. Growing up, I was always the insecure one, what I’ve come to think of as younger sister syndrome, and I got used to living in my brother’s shadow, fighting quietly for attention that rarely came my way. It got worse because he was the one who demanded it, his personality took up so much space, and he didn’t have many friends, so my parents attention naturally gathered around him while I, the so-called normal one, learned early how to behave and how to stay out of the way.
At school I went looking for the attention I wasn’t getting at home, wanting more than anything to be seen and to feel like I belonged somewhere, and out of that need I developed a very specific personality trait, the instinct to please everyone around me. I want to be careful here, because I don’t want this to read as blaming my parents for what happened to me years later. I’m a mother myself now, and I know we’re all doing our best on any given day. My parents never really learned how to love deeply or show affection easily, but they loved me in the way they knew how, and looking back I can see now that it was more than enough. They never turned their backs on me, not once, and they have helped me even in seasons when they barely had enough for themselves. It breaks something in me to watch them worry constantly about paying their own bills, especially knowing they helped pay mine.
I still have the manuscript I first wrote about all of this, tucked away, over thirty pages that barely make it past the beginning. It’s been sitting quietly on my iCloud for more than a year, and somehow I still haven’t managed to finish it. For the past two years I’ve been entirely focused on surviving, and without realizing it, I was slowly wading back into the same ocean I thought I’d escaped.
Try to imagine paying off debt that was never yours to begin with, or sitting across from people your husband stole from and negotiating on his behalf simply because you shared his last name. Imagine saving carefully to buy your children new pajamas, only to have that same money disappear because he took it too, or feeling your heart sink because your kids need new shoes and you genuinely can’t afford them. Imagine not knowing how you’ll cover the next medical bill right after paying off someone you barely ever spoke to, or pushing through burnout while working three jobs, your body still moving long after your mind has quietly refused to.
What he has doesn’t have an official name yet, or at least not one I know of. My therapists, and even ChatGPT when I’ve asked, seem to agree that he shows the traits of a psychopath. But none of that changed the fact that I had to leave, and that I was still the one left behind to clean up everything he broke. I’m raising our children on my own now, without any financial support from him, paying thousands of dollars in therapy bills because what he did never just affected me, it affected all of us, and right now we’re living together in my parents’ house, all of us fully aware it’s too small to hold everyone comfortably.
But this morning, something shifted, and I found myself imagining how telling this story honestly might save someone else from falling into the exact same thing. People like him hide in the shadows, waiting patiently for someone who feels fragile enough to eventually break, someone who loves deeply and hasn’t yet learned she’s allowed to ask for more, someone who has never actually seen what a peaceful relationship looks like from the inside. I spent years running from the idea of asking for help, and I’ve finally reached a point where I simply can’t afford that instinct anymore. Right now I have forty dollars to my name, and around one thousand and five hundred dollars in overdue bills and loans that exist only because of his mistakes. That’s the moment I decided to ask for help while also trying to help others, so that they can learn to recognize the red flags before it’s too late, so that they don’t end up living through what I did.
And maybe, just maybe, telling it all the way through is how I finally get this to stop hurting me.
Before you go, I want to be honest about one more thing. Some details in this story have been changed on purpose, small things here and there, to protect my identity and my children’s safety. What happened is real, every bit of it, even if a few of the specifics aren’t told exactly as they occurred. Safety comes first for me, always, and I hope you understand why.
Note from H. Tayrone:
I really hope everything turns out well for you. Can't change the past now and hanging on it for too long just makes it hurt even more.
Cool infos from the sidebar:
-You can share your work in the blog for more people to see it!
-You can follow the profile on Medium to get notified through email when the new posts are out
-You can see the people who already contributed with a text for the blog
-You can help the blog get a proper spot by going on Ko-Fi. Even one dollar helps a ton!
Comments
Post a Comment